Wednesday, November 5, 2014

These Souls are 2 Dark: Part 1


Dark souls II is a great game. It came out in March of this year and brought a lot to the table, with it being a shoe-in for at least a nomination for GOTY (Game of the Year) of 2014. It was a direct sequel to the critically acclaimed Dark Souls, which won the GOTY back in 2011, carrying that legacy and weight from the day it was announced. The game doesn't disappoint, continuing the series famed difficulty and challenge. I'm a huge fan of the series, so I highly anticipated it (and may have missed a day of school when it came out), so I was ecstatic when I heard new downloadable content might be being released for it. Which, of course, led to me playing through the game again. During my newest playthrough, I thought about the storyline and setting a lot more than I had previously, and I realized something:Your character has no concrete motives for struggling through the mess they're put in. They're cursed with a seemingly incurable affliction, which turns them undead. Unlike common zombie stereotypes, your character is very much in control and present when undead. It just makes them unable to die for good. Your character, though never voicing their own opinion, can be vaguely assumed to want to break free from this curse and attain a final rest. Only a few guiding forces are present in the game, and all of them echo the same thing as the others: Seek souls.  No reason is given for this order, just a few chuckles from the old crones in the beginning and a promise from the emerald herald that I'll find what I want if I get the souls. In accordance with the game's difficulty, you die. A lot. Every time you die, the game restarts you at the latest bonfire you'd visited. No breaks, just instant reincarnation with your healthbar slightly smaller each time. The only inevitability I know booting it up is that I'm going to see the famed "You died" screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment